Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Upcoming Golf Marathon


We haven't played as much golf as usual while here this year, but that will change (for me) this week-end... as I begin a self-imposed golf marathon of sorts.

Max's mobility is really up and down and he doesn't feel comfortable paying the money to play on the longer courses because he's lucky to actually play 9 or 10 holes. He has only played once so far, and that was at the short course of Date Palm Country Club with Mary & Dick Weatherman. It works well if he plays a few holes, sits out a few holes, then plays a few more holes.

Friday, we will play again with Dick & Mary at Date Palm and that will, no doubt, be Max's last time. Since he doesn't play I don't like to leave him alone a lot but I have played a few games at Cathedral Canyon Golf & Tennis Club.

Saturday, I am scheduled to play a "family bragging rights" match with my cousin Kevin Klock. He and his family live in Camarilla (California). This is our second match. He currently holds the (invisible) trophy but I'm hoping to correct that. I told him I'd pay his green fees, but if he wins he has to pay me back. :-) I'll let you know how that goes.

Sunday & Monday I am in a tournament at Cathedral Canyon with Dorothy (Dunkin) McIntire. I have played a few practice rounds with her. Tuesday I played a pretty good round of 87, which I was very pleased with considering the difficulty of the course (and how little I've played). There is more than one hole from h___, with lots of water and sand. It's not unusual to see water down one side of the fairway and sand down the other. I'm not talking some water... I'm talking the entire length of the fairway in some cases. This is a course that requires a lot of course management and strategy on each shot. Common sense must rule over pride or you'll end up losing a shot or two anyway. I've been known to leave my driver in the bag on numerous holes, opting for a lay-up with a 5 or 6 iron. You know how I hate that!
Well, better get back to watching what's left of the Olympics for the evening. I'll check in sometime this week-end and let you know how it's going.

No comments: