Saturday, February 11, 2006

Memoirs


The weather continues to be unusually warm... in the mid 80's for the last several days. It's supposed to cool down quite a bit by the latter part of next week, but I haven't seen any precipitation in the forecast. It has rained only one day since October, so they are going through a drought here.

I've been working on retyping Max's memoirs over the last few days. We had a first draft typed, but he's been wanting to make some additions so, since I don't have the file on this computer, I retyped them... all 26 pages. Now he has a fresh copy to rework. I suppose there will be many more drafts before the final document is finished. It will be a nice thing for his children and grandchildren to have.

Yesterday, I played golf with Dorothy Dunkin McIntire at Cathedral Canyon Country Club. Some of you may remember her from Wenatchee Golf & Country Club. They live down here full time, but have considered moving back to Wenatchee. They love it here, though. Her husband, Bud, and my husband weren't feeling up to playing so Dorothy and I ended up playing with a couple of other ladies from the club. It was a fun group, and we all played a game called "Captains Choice". It's where everyone in the foursome rotates at being the "captain" (first to tee off). After everyone tees off, then the captain gets to choose who she wants for her partner on that hole. Whichever "team" wins the hole gets a point (each player on that team gets a point). It's like a two person best ball, but your partner could change on each hole. Anyway, the person with the most points at the end of the game wins. I won't bore you with the details of who won (grin), but I can give you a hint that it wasn't one of the locals. :-) Actually, Dorothy and I ended up partnering most of the time and we did very well!

Cathedral Canyon is actually quite a difficult course, with narrow fairways and lots of strategically water and sand. Many holes have water down one side of the fairway and multiple sand traps bordering the other side. I was pleased to score a 91... after losing 3 balls on the first two holes! After that, I played the rest of the round with the same ball. The funny part is, after having lost so many balls so soon, one of the other gals came over and gave me a sleeve of "Precept" balls that she said she would never use. I laughed and joked with her that she knew I would need the extra balls to finish the round. I teased her later that it was when I started using the Precept balls that I started racking up the points (ultimately beating her at her own game). It was all in good fun and there was no money involved... just bragging rights. I will be playing in a two day tournament at this same course on the 26th & 27th of this month... so I'll play there at least two more times before that.

Today Max & I just kind of goofed off. We were going to the Swap Meet at the College of the Desert, but I was tired this morning so we decided to go tomorrow. We went to a late breakfast at the International House of Pancakes, where I had a wonderful vegetable omelette. The rest of the day is a blur of laziness. Max is already in bed so as I type, I'm listening to and watching the Olympics broadcast on the TV.

Hope you're all having a great week-end!
Carol

No comments: