Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Cactus Country


We arrived in Sun City West, Arizona this afternoon, after a total of five days on the road. I took this picture of the purple cactus while traveling the Sun Valley Highway, which runs from the western end of the Phoenix area between I-10 and Sun City West. These cactuses were plentiful within the median between the lanes… and came in all sizes.

The southern California and Arizona sunshine is wonderful, but coming through the traffic reaffirmed that I never want to live here, or any other densely populated place. I couldn’t help but be struck by the high volume of truck traffic along the I-5 and I-10 corridors. As we traveled into Arizona, the volume of large motor home traffic was astounding. I’m talking about 35-40 foot motor homes, that probably get about 5-8 miles to the gallon. It’s no wonder there’s an oil crisis! These motor homes (literally homes on wheels) are very expensive and, I suppose, the people who own them aren’t stopped from traveling because of fuel prices. I don’t suppose they like it, but they’re not going to quit traveling in their retirement because of it.

Well, it's been a long trip down... so will sign off, but try to write more tomorrow or the next day.

No comments: