Friday, October 20, 2006

The Shoulder


A chronic shoulder problem has plaqued me for several years. Both shoulders are bad, but the left is the worst. A couple weeks ago, after two golf games in three days, it got serious again. Serious enough that I was willing to let the doctors go in and cut something out (or off) if it would make the pain go away.

BUT, we didn't do anything drastic (yet). As it happened, I couldn't even get a doctors appointment until today, so some pain pills had to do in the meantime.

During a consultation with the doctor, we determined there were three options: Physical therapy, a cortizone shot, or surgery. Physical therapy hasn't been a satisfactory remedy in the past, so we opted for the less drastic of the two remaining options... cortizone.

We're hoping this is a long term solution, but we have doubts. In the meantime, however, we'll give it a try and see what happens. At least for now, I am (mostly) pain free and have some increased mobility in my left arm. I think golf is out for the rest of this season, though. Hopefully, surgery won't be required and I'll be able to play this winter when we go south.

The good news is, I did play well both of the last two games I played, despite my "handicap".

Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Carol Williams

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this a shoulder separation that you have going on? I know a woman who is having surgery today actually, for this problem. Hope you will have relief and get through this so you can get back to your golfing.